Orange County (Fullerton) Criminal Defense Attorney Steven K. Bloom has established himself as the premier sex crimes defense lawyer and has successfully represented many persons accused of Sex Offenses in Orange County. Attorney Bloom has earned a reputation in the community as a sex crimes defense expert and has lectured at California State University at Fullerton as an expert in defending sex offenses.
Defending a sex crime is not like defending any other type of criminal offense. No other crime carries such a profound public stigma that can label someone for a lifetime. Sex offense cases in Orange County carry potential life-time registration as a sex offender, substantial prison sentences and more.
Sex offense cases require an attorney with years of experience. With experience comes knowledge. In these cases, the police have a definite procedure that they follow to try to ensure convictions. Knowledge of these procedures can keep you free while ignorance can end you up behind bars. There have been many times that, with the knowledge and expertise of Attorney Bloom, clients have been able to avoid a case being filed against them, thus avoiding public humiliation, life-time registration and long prison terms.
Psychological evaluations are often a useful tool by an experienced sex offense lawyer. Psychologists can conduct interviews and tests to come to their expert opinions as to whether the accused fits the profile of someone who would act in the way alleged. A reputable psychologist can be a powerful tool in getting charges dismissed, reduced, or avoiding the life-time sex offender registration.
Types of sex crimes/offenses
There are many types of sex offenses, some are misdemeanors but most are considered serious felonies, especially in conservative Orange County. Misdemeanors are crimes that are punishable by no more than 1 year in the county jail, while felonies are punishable by many years in state prison.
- California Penal Code (PC) 288 - lewd act with child under 14 years of age, a felony.
- California Penal Code (PC) 288a(b) - lewd act with child 14-18 years of age, can be a filed as a misdemeanor or felony.
- California Penal Code (PC) 261.2 - forcible rape, a felony.
- California Penal Code (PC) 261.5 - statutory rape (consensual intercourse under 18 years old), misdemeanor or felony.
- California Penal Code (PC) 290 - obligation to register as a sex offender with the local police.
- California Penal Code (PC) 311 - possession of obscene matter, can be a misdemeanor or felony.
- California Penal Code (PC) 314 - indecent exposure, a misdemeanor.
- California Penal Code (PC) 647(a) - lewd act in public place, a misdemeanor.
- California Penal Code (PC) 647(b) - solicitation of prostitution, a misdemeanor.
- California Penal Code (PC) 243.4 - sexual battery, can be filed as a misdemeanor or felony.
The Law Offices of Steven K. Bloom has successfully represented clients accused of each of the above mentioned sex offenses and more. Call and see why even other criminal defense attorneys refer their toughest sex cases to Attorney Bloom.
The Law Offices of Steven K. Bloom proudly serve the cities of Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Brea, Anaheim, Buena Park, Santa Ana, Orange, Irvine, La Habra, Tustin, Placentia, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Westminster, Garden Grove, Stanton, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, Lake Forest, and all of Orange County and LA County as well as Riverside and San Bernardino.